Sunday, April 5, 2009

The American Church

So, I read this post from Ragamuffin the other day.

Wow. That is some raw honesty right there. And true! The CHURCH is dying while churches are growing.

I don't necessarily agree with some of the comments because, well, I don't. The church...the local expression of The Body is actually intended SOLELY for the edifying of the saints. (See 1 Corinthians 14:26) It's not actually intended to bring a bunch of lost people in and see them saved. Does that happen...yes it does. Many times there are lost who think they are saved sitting right beside you and me. Then God opens their eyes and draws them in. The Word tells us to go OUT and make disciples (See Matthew 28:19) and bring them into fellowship. The church should not make a sinning person (including those who are His) feel comfortable at all! We are supposed to be different...set apart. We should look completely different than the world...the Word tells us that! (See 1 Peter 2:11-12)

But that post lead me back to one of my favorite sermons of all time. I will not lie...I have had to watch it over and over again to get the fullness of it all. It's tough to watch. If you have never heard this man and the Truth he delivers just as plainly as possible, hold on to your hats. He's will blow out of the water all of the junk that American Christianity today has tried to push on me and you our whole lives.

No comments: