Thursday, January 6, 2011

Homesick

I'm homesick.

The Pike Family is homesick.

Now more than ever.

My best friend for the last 20 years lost her daddy yesterday. A tragic accident that stole the life of a loving husband, wonderful father, and funloving grandfather. Growing up, he was another Daddy to me. My parents knew that when I was with Mandy that her Momma and Daddy would tear my butt up if need be. They knew that they would care for me as if I was their own.

And they did.

I was the first one to the second hospital they sent Papa Joe to. About 45 mins ahead of everyone else. As I sat there and waited for them to show up, I had fully allowed God to convince my heart that we would NOT speak any doubt over this. We would stand firm in what God's Word says about speaking those things that are not as though they were.

My Mandy showed up. We held each other. And waited. More folks showed. We waited. "Momma" showed up and this girl lost it! BUT, I was able to pray boldly and in faith to storm Heaven's gates for Papa Joe and speak faith into Momma's heart.

Until we learned he would die that day.

I began to question so much. I began to even question God. I got mad. I refused to believe any of it and told God that He could STILL heal him. Still. But it was not to be. And I became the call answering/call making stand in where they couldn't do it...and as I watched a family...my family grieve...my family realize how homesick they are now...something hit me.

God gave me a joy back in high school. He set me on the path to love taking pictures. I'm not the best in the world at it, but boy do I ever love to do it! And everyone that I take pictures for says that my excitement and passion for doing it comes out in my pics. I finally got around to dabbling in it on the side almost 2 years ago. Most of the time I get sweet notes in the mail thanking me for capturing so-n-so's exact personality or so-n-so's smile that no one can ever see or for taking real pics of their family.

That's when this hit me:


Momma & Papa Joe


The entire family. What a blessing!


Him with his grandchildren



I have never been so honored in my life and thankful that God had the foresight to get these pictures taken over a year ago. They are simply a treasure now. A tangible reminder of why their hearts are so homesick.

Homesick ~ MercyMe

You're in a better place, I've heard a thousand times
And at least a thousand times I've rejoiced for you
But the reason why I'm broken, the reason why I cry
Is how long must I wait to be with you

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

Help me Lord cause I don't understand your ways
The reason why I wonder if I'll ever know
But, even if you showed me, the hurt would be the same
Cause I'm still here so far away from home

In Christ, there are no goodbye
And in Christ, there is no end
So I'll hold onto Jesus with all that I have
To see you again

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I love you so much.