Wednesday, October 2, 2013

It's Brodaway, Baby! Although...She isn't a Baby Anymore...

I know.  I know.  Where are the Africa Posts?  I promise.  They are coming.  There has had to be a decompressing from there and I need to get my thoughts in complete order to even BEGIN to convey it all.  Plus, still waiting on the pics to all make it in.

In the meantime, we had a little birthday party.  Well...if you call bringing the NYC to the ARK  little LOL!

When I asked My Girl what she wanted her party to be for the big 1-1 she said she knew she wanted it to be Broadway but "wasn't sure how to make that happen".  Has she ever met me?!?!?  I got this baby girl.  So...out the invitations went:


And this past Saturday was the day!  I could hardly contain myself as the days drew closer because I KNEW this just might be the best party yet!  So, Alison and I set to decorating while she was at school.  I borrowed most of the big decorations from her voice teacher and her church.  


Welcome to NYC baby!  And what is NYC without having a yellow taxi cab in your way?  We even roped off the other side as the VIP Entrance.  Oh.  Yes!


Of course, upon entering what was the first thing everyone saw?  Graffiti, trash, pizza boxes, torn down buildings...that's right.  The alley ways of the NYC.  The only thing missing was that smell!  And if you have ever been to the NYC...you know what that smell is.


What is a Broadway premier without a pap booth, huh?  As all of the "cast of characters" (aka friends) began to arrive, they all go their pics taken with My Girl on the red carpet.


I can't even talk about how long this took me to make...I might cry...


Welcome to the NYC everyone!  


The gift table was out on Ellis Island apparently.


My Girl helped make the cupcakes and iced them, but my friend Micki made the toppers.  SUP-A CUTE!


Look at the taxi cabs!!!


We even threw in a tree for that "Central Park" feel.


Every one's goodie bags awaited them as they left.  In addition to the candy on the inside was a small "tony" award for their acting skills and a CD with all of My Girls favorite Broadway tunes.

But for now...let the party begin!


Presenting My Girl as "Tracy Turnblad" from Hairspray!


And there's me as "Ms. Hannigan" from Annie.  Sad that this look becomes me.


Here's the whole family on stage, including My Man as "The Baker" from Into the Woods and My Boy as "The Cowardly Lion" from The Wizard of Oz.


And who could forget my partner in crime..."Truvy" from Steele Magnolias.  She secretly wants to BE her!


Here's the whole gang ready for their next performance.  It's the meet-n-greet before the show I guess.  LOL!


I had 3 bags full of 'props' I found laying around the house.  Things like black beans, scarves, pencils, cookbooks, a picture of My Girl, etc.  I drew names out of the name bag to put kids onto different teams.  They then had 15 minutes to come up with a play.  Complete with a name and possibly a musical number.  


Here's my Girl rehearsing being shot


This was Team #3...they did a play called "Christmas Dinner" complete with a lion killing someone in the end.


This was Team #1...they did a play called "Black Bean Tuna".


And Team #2...they did a play called "The Murder of Bobby McGee".  They all did sooooo fantastic!


After My Girl opened all of her other presents from her friends, her family had one more gift up their sleeves.  She was getting to go see Wicked the next afternoon!


Time to blow out the candles!


And here she was at Wicked the next day.

Baby Girl,

Even though you aren't exactly my 'baby' girl anymore, you will always be mine.  I have adored watching you turn into one amazing young lady who already stops hearts when she walks into a room.  Not only are you breathtaking but your spirit is something to be reckoned with!  Whew!  There is something so special about you that draws people in.  You aren't like your friends.  Most of your friends are loud and attention seekers, but you, Darling Girl...are mesmerizing.  I'm blessed to get the privilege to walk along side God as He works out His perfect plan for your life.  Sure, there are spots along the way that I may have to yank you back on the path, but its worth every minute of it just to see that smile of yours...that countenance that is something I could only dream of.  

I love you, Baby.  Happy 11th Birthday.  Stop growing now please.  
Love,
Momma


No comments: