Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bragging Rights

Yeah. Today I get 'em.

We had our very first ever parent/teacher conference. I was never really scared going into it b'c bascially Belle has been excited about the prospect of starting Kindergarten for about 3 years now. So I never expected there to be too much of a problem.

And you know how all parents tend to want to think their kid is oh so this and oh so that?

Mrs. Jennifer told us last night that Belle was pretty much oh so amazing.

First she showed us her Qualls measures. For those of you who don't know, its a measurement they use during the first week of school to assess where each kid falls in respect to all of the other kids tested. Then, they plot your kids abilities into 1 of 3 categories for each area tested.

Not Developed, Developing, or Developed.

She said that most kids only score all "developed" at the end of school.

Guess where Belle was in ALL? Developed.

And they don't just judge book smarts. There are other things like oral communication, work habits and attentive behavior.

My baby is growing up!

Then, came the report card. K+ or 4 in everything.

K+ = Above Grade Level and 4 = Advanced.

And even when she went over the standardized scoring requirements, the Above Grade Level or Advanced reqirements...Belle was still even doing things beyond THOSE! Mrs. Jennifer was telling us things like:

"The requirement for Above Grade Level says she has to tell me a word for each letter of the alphabet. When I say "A" she is supposed to tell me something that starts with "A". Most kids say what they have learned on the Alphabet chart and say "apple" b'c that's what is up there. Not Belle. She is already associating the letters with all sorts of other words."

For "A"...she said "ax". To me, that was nothing. But apparently for Kindergarten its amazing.

Mrs. Jennifer had other "amazing" stories like this in Math, Writing, Work and Study Habits and even behavior.

And apparently I will be astounded to see her journal at the next 9 weeks. I can't wait!

So, there's my bragging rights for today, and I couldn't be prouder! I already knew she was an amazing kid. Now others get to see it!

6 comments:

The Proctors said...

This does not amaze me...Belle has always been so smart!! You have every right to brag!!! So neat! Go Belle!!!

Andrea said...

GOOD JOB BELLE!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so proud of her!!!

Andrea said...

GOOD JOB BELLE!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so proud of her!!!

Alison said...

Way to go Bella-boo! We knew you would knock kindergarten "out of the park"!

AliciaG said...

Great job! Belle! I knew you would do great in Kindergarten!

Anonymous said...

Never doubted it for a second!