Friday, February 1, 2013

Chopped Liver

We've all heard the phrase "What am I?  Chopped Liver?" when we feel we are being left out of something. 

Over the last year or so, out of the blue, someone will shout "I love you ________!!!!"  Whether it's My Boy telling each of us individually or me telling everyone, etc.  Well...there for a bit when My Boy and My Girl were REALLY pushing on each others last nerves...it usually went something like this:

My Boy:
"I love you Momma!!!!"
"I love you Daddy!!!!"
"I love you Sissy!!!"
"I love you Biggs!!!!"
Silence

My girl would usually pipe up and say, "HEY!  What am I?  Chopped Liver?!?!?!"  His reply was always YEP!  And vice versa.

At first it would really irritate the said 'liver'.  But I noticed something the other night as My Boy was shouting it from his bedroom.

My Girl smiled.

My Man and I told her this was obviously just one of their many 'things' that will just be theirs.  She proceeded to ask "what if as we grow up we don't have anything to do with each other anymore?"

BREAK MY HEART!

See...My Man has a sad and estranged relationship with his younger brother.  He still misses him very much and it shows from time to time.  And since I don't have any real siblings (many that I consider my sisters and wouldn't trade for the WORLD) they don't have a very good example of that sibling love that nothing and no one comes between.  My Man does have an older brother that isn't really his brother but was raised much of the boys lives at their house.  My kids call him Uncle Stacey and we love that man and his family and vice versa.  We proceeded to explain to her that Daddy and Uncle Stacey are sooooooo close and even though they don't get to see each other very much, when we do get to see him or they talk every other day or so it's like they never missed a beat!  And when they are together and start talking about old times back at home, they laugh so hard they just about wet themselves.  And they fiercely protect each other.  I've seen them cry together and hug each other so hard that I wondered if they were going to come out alive!

But thinking about all of this got My Man and I talking...it is going to be our job to help them be the best brother and sister...that even though they get on each others nerves right now, they are each others absolute best friend.  It is our responsibility to let them LEARN to fight with each other in a healthy way.  It is our responsibility to teach them to ALWAYS apologize when they hurt the other one and then to ALWAYS forgive each other whole heartedly.  We make them do it right now begrudgingly but it will sink in.

When we got done talking about it all, he shouted it from the bedroom again and we all laughed soooo hard.  Even My Boy and he had no idea why.  But he will.  He will.

Because I'm pretty sure....neither one sees the other as Chopped Liver...

No comments: